RE: Coldfusion vs ...

by "Mike Carlson" <domitianx(at)domitianx.com>

 Date:  Fri, 10 Aug 2001 09:02:10 -0500
 To:  <jrankin(at)oneil.com>,
"'Klaas De Waele'" <klaas(at)gracegraphics.be>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I have been told on several occasions by CF and ASP developers that a
good analogy would be:

"Cold Fusion is the "velcro" of web development. Very fast to develop,
very easy to use, but if you are in for the long haul and are going to
need it to scale infinitely, CF is not the way to go. Departmental
websites, small internet websites (under 10,000 hits a day) are fine in
CF. But large scale e-commerce, high traffic sites, do not do well in
CF."

Everytime I get to a site that is run on CF, it is pretty slow.

I compare it to Access Data Pages and ASP. They both perform the same
functions (web interface to db) but the Access versions are always
slower and if you look at the code behind it, you can see why, there is
a lot of stuff going on that is not needed. Hundreds of lines of extra
code. I could perform the same functions in 50 lines that an Access Data
Page does in a couple hundred.

I would not use any "write and application using point and click" to
develop an application that was business related.

Mike Carlson
http://www.domitianx.com
domitianx(at)domitianx.com