RE: Grrr!! Do-it-yourselfers!

by "Carol Parent" <cbwd(at)means.net>

 Date:  Sun, 26 Aug 2001 15:24:00 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

Hello,

I spent 5+ hours researching cameras and printers based on a client's
needs.  I went to camera stores, made salesman show me how the printers
worked, asked for samples printed right out in front of me using the
photos that we took right there in the stores.  I finally settled on a
recommendation and the client is very happy.  (I am not going to charge
the client for ALL that time, but a good portion and he is very willing
to pay it as in the long run I saved him a lot of money.)

The reason for the long winded paragraph above is this; a potential
client called me out of the blue to discuss a possible future project
and wanted to know if I had any recommendations for cameras/printers.  I
said yes, in fact I did.  He asked what they were.  I said, well sir, I
hope you won't take this the wrong way, but that is the kind of
information I offer you when you hire me.  Until then, I will keep my
recommendations to myself.

Was he "miffed?"  Don't know.  Do I care?  Not really.  I am never rude.
But I learned the HARD way that people will suck your time up if you let
them and in many cases it actually works against you.  People tend to
think that when something doesn't cost anything, it is not worth a whole
lot.

Our skills and knowledge are valuable.  We put time and effort into what
we do.  Don't sell yourself short.

Carol Parent