Found the problem - (was: RE: Site checks please ????)

by "Mike Kear" <mkear(at)afpwebworks.com>

 Date:  Mon, 11 Aug 2003 10:15:04 +1000
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
This issue has been a learning exercise for me indeed.  TO be honest, I
never worried too much about DNS records and MX records, leaving that to
Sysadmins up till now, just as most of us do. =20

However with this problem,  I had to get into the nuts and bolts of it.  =
had a client telling me something was wrong with his sites, and a =
sysadmin
telling me it was my client that had the problem because nothing was =
wrong
with the sites.  So I knew nothing was going to change until I pinned =
down
the source of the problem, even if I didn't find the answer.

Along the way I found some amazing tools.   They should be in EVERY
webmaster's bookmarks.  Have a look at some of your own sites in these =
tools
and get a shock.  If you think you're ok because everything works, take =
look anyway.  Put some famous-name sites in the dnsreport tool and see -
sites like msnbc.com and Microsoft.com have 'fail' flags!!

Anyway, some really valuable resources are:=20

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=3Dleverage.com.au =20

http://dnsstuff.com and its sibling, http://dnsreport.com, are probably =
the
two best places to pick apart a dns setting (and of course
http://tracert.com is invaluable as well).

I thought I'd pass this on.  What I'm seeing 'smells' like my Sysadmin
goofed the dns and not my client's local routing problem.

Cheers,
Michael Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks.