Re: Matrix (W95.MTX) virus

by "Ryan Huggins" <RyanHuggins(at)prodigy.net>

 Date:  Thu, 23 Nov 2000 10:58:55 -0800
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I use Outlook, how do you turn off the scripting features?

    Thanks,

       Ryan Huggins

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 14:05:56 +0100
From: "jalal" <the_jalal(at)yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Matrix (W95.MTX) virus

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:53:01 -0400, Don Chandler wrote:

>I've become the local expert on this virus, which is NOT how I like
spending
>my time!!!  I'm not a violent person....but if I ever caught the person(s)
>that created this virus.........

And if you ever catch any of your clients with scripting turned on in
their emailers, they also deserve a good beating. Ideally, they
shouldn't be using Outlook, as that is the cause of all this email
virus stuff. But as they often have little choice, at least make sure
that scripting is disabled.

There is no reason to catch a virus through email and I have found it
important to convince/explain to people that it is up to them how
secure they want there computer to be. So many users seem to helplessly
accept that virii will invade their computer and there is nothing they
can do about it. There is. If you can't change operating system or
email client, then at least learn how to shut out the security
vulnerabilities that MS seem to insist on building into their products.

If someone keeps having their car stolen, the best thing to do is to
show them how to lock the doors, how to park in visible places, to hide
their valuables and so on. Stuff that we now take for granted with our
automobiles, and hopefully will become second nature with our
computers.

cheers
	-- jalal --