formmail (not receiving email)

by "Roger Harness" <magic32(at)jps.net>

 Date:  Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:03:00 -0800
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Ok, I've spent about 3 days with this, and I still havent figured it out.

I'm using the formmail I got from matt wright's worldwidemart.com site. I've
used it before, and have been using it great up till now.

The site the script is on, is for my boss' site that im working on.
Originally, I had the results of the formmail mailed to him, so he could
input the data into his database. But i've been working on updating (ha)
things, and so i changed the recipient field in the form to send the mail to
my address. And, i changed the @referers in the formmail.pl file so this
would work.

And it did...sort of. About half the time. Sometimes it would work,
sometimes it wouldnt. each time i'd type different info into the form (which
had real basic fields...name, address, email, how you found us, etc). I dont
have any fields "required" (i think one of the FAQ's said i might not
receive the mail if i had a required field, and the user didnt fill that
part out).

At first, i had a redirect, that would take me to my own thank you page.
worked great (still does), but then i changed that so i could see matt's
scripts own thank you page, which would list the info that the user has just
typed. And doing that, it ALWAYS shows exactly what info i (user) inputed,
and wouldnt put anything in the fields that i had left blank. Perfect. *AND*
it says this info has been submitted to me(at)mydomain.com (you know, my real
address). I changed it a few times thinking it was my isp that maybe wasnt
letting me recieve all my email. I tried my yahoo account, but had the same
luck, even after changing the appropriate fields in my formmail.pl and
apparently uploading (in ASCII, right?) it all ok.

I've tried the worldwidemart. FAQ's, archives, searches, etc, and no luck.
only thing i can find is:
"1) Incorrect path to Sendmail within the script.
2) RECIPIENT is spelled incorrectly in your HTML.
3) Your email address is incorrect within your HTML."

I THINK all this is ok. And again, it DOES say the info has been sent to me.

I did fine something that said i should update from formmail.pl 1.6 to 1.9,
because it supposedly had a bug that might seem to cause problems similar to
mine...but i did that. still no help.

One other thing...there IS another form on the site that is using the same
formmail.pl file. basically the same kinda form, just a LITTLE bit different
info. I havent messed with that page. That shouldn't affect it, right?

Grrr. any help would be SOOO much appreciated. I'm NOT a cgi or perl expert,
and we don't have telnet access to the server (its on earthlink), but again,
I HAVE had this be working ok before.

TIA,

Roger Harness