RE: off topic - e-mail software

by "Michael Wilson" <mwilson(at)xionmedia.com>

 Date:  Tue, 27 Nov 2001 13:43:14 -0500
 To:  "'Lisa Bradshaw'" <zibbler(at)mediaone.net>,
"'hwg techniques'" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Lisa,

Using the more advanced MS Outlook 2002, I have received many viruses
lately, but have never been infected. It allows you to view the messages
without opening the attachments. There is also a patch available that
will block many common file extensions, so they can't be opened. You can
install the patch and just inform anyone who may be sending you a file
to Zip it first. This way you can save it and/or open it as you like.

I have found that in most cases it is the user that falls short on
security, rather than the software. Not to say that Outlook Express is
without fault, however end users should keep abreast of security alerts,
keep their virus definitions up to date and use common sense when
opening files attached to email messages.

I receive about 400 email messages per day and have not had a virus in 3
years, including Code Red.

I used to be a HUGE anti-Microsoft freak; Nix and Netscape all the way.
Lately, even with all the patches that must be installed, I have found
that IE owns NN and that most of the MS product line, IIS 5.0/SQL Server
2K/Outlook 2002/IE 6.0/Office XP/Win XP/Win 2k Server/Visual Studio
6.0/Outlook Express for Newsgroups, greatly increases my productivity.
This is of course my opinion and is founded on my needs. Your mileage
may vary.

Microsoft is not the bad guy. The creator of the virus is.

Mike