RE: .Net (Was: Re: suggestions please)

by "Brett Errington" <brett(at)opensearch.com>

 Date:  Sat, 1 Dec 2001 10:36:43 +0800
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi

The biggest features (that I can remember... I know there was another
reason) that my company is looking at switching to .Net are:

1. The code is compiled beforehand (and so runs faster) and can be used
in a much more modular approach, which is a very good programming
technique (much like the way apps are written).
2. The code is much more powerful (and I think somewhat customizable)
plus it can do things like draw graphs/charts and other graphics on the
fly without having to purchase 3rd part plug-ins.

This is all well and good for a new project but according to our
research it would be a lot harder to convert our previous projects
across to .Net than Microsoft says. Therefore when we do decide to start
using it, no doubt we will keep our old server running and build up a
new .Net server and slowly transfer stuff across. In conclusion though I
would say that .Net will open up quite a lot of new possibilities that
are currently not within the grasp of other web programming languages
(please don't quote me on that, and don't start an argument about it). I
have done Java programming before and I must say I don't like it when
using it on the web... the applets seem to take awhile to load and there
are other problems associated with it. This is not to say Java itself is
a bad language. I think if your using it for an app it is quite good.
Something else people might want to consider is that Java support in
windows XP is not native. Therefore a lot of users will not have it
because they won't think it's worth it (or won't know what the hell it's
for in some cases) to download the plug-in from MS.

Later,
Mr Brett

"That's a pain that will surely linger, and that's no lie"
- Ed Grimely

From: owner-hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org

> ...with the idea that
> we'll use the .Net platform once it comes out.

Without getting (right away anyway) into the Java/Microsoft
controversy, could I ask why you would plan around .Net without
knowing it's feasability? (I don't mean this to sound haughty or
anything, I'm genuinely curious.)

I'd also like to hear anyone elses thoughts on the Java/.Net issue.
(if anyone wants to share)