RE: Site stats question

by "Ryan Huggins" <RyanHuggins(at)prodigy.net>

 Date:  Mon, 18 Dec 2000 23:11:11 -0800
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I'm not your hoster, but I think that welcome.html would have to be on your
system to be reported.  Granted some systems use welcome.html as the main
page (can't think of any off hand, but I'm sure they exist), I've never
heard of a stats program using synonyms.  As far as the Chinese page, I've
had a few odd ones in my time too.  I had some company selling RIO players,
and this week I had Yahoo.com come up as frequently accessed pages.  What
I've determined is that someone did some weird typing into the URL.  My
hoster and myself don't know how they do it, but my logs show a GET command
with Yahoo.com  I've checked all my source code, and I don't link to them.
I have decided that it's just a fluke.

  HTH,

    Ryan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 00:17:16 -0330
From: "Vincent, Denise" <deevin(at)mun.ca>
Subject: Site stats question

I hope this isn't off-topic. I was looking at my site stats today, and I
noticed that the most accessed page was something called 'welcome.html'.
There isn't a page called that anywhere in my site, so I contacted my
hosting provider and he said 'Oh, that's just another word for index.html'.
What?

Anyway, there's also a page listing under my stats for a Chinese Web site. I
have no idea why that would be listed under *my* page stats. So, when asked,
my hosting provider gave me the run around a few more times. Finally, he
said "there is either someone linking to a page that no longer is there or
your listed on search engine to that page. I really dont know any more then
this."

This still doesn't make any sense to me. All that's supposed to be listed
are the most frequently accessed pages on my Web site. I don't understand
why this Chinese web site's welcome page is showing up there. Does anyone
have any possible explanations? I'm starting to think that maybe my hosting
provider is doing something 'funny'.

- - Denise