Re: Stock Ticker for Website

by "Mike Taylor" <lonewolf(at)one.net>

 Date:  Mon, 8 Oct 2001 18:55:42 -0400
 To:  "Nancy Wieland" <nwieland(at)tampabay.rr.com>,
"hwg" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
From: "Nancy Wieland" <nwieland(at)tampabay.rr.com>
To: "hwg" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2001 5:13 PM
Subject: Stock Ticker for Website

> Does anyone know of a free (or inexpensive) customizable stock ticker to
run
> on a website (I only want to show certain stocks with real-time updates)?
> would assume it is a Java Applet, but I've searched and searched and
cannot
> locate.

The best (or at least the most easily customizable one) I've found is called
"ZeBanner" and it's available free at:

http://javaboutique.internet.com/ZeBanner/index.html

I scheduled a job in SQL Server that pulls information from our company's
data feed, which in turn populates the .txt file with updated information
every five minutes.

I've seen some JavaScript alternatives that let you use HTML, as they are
employing the layers technique (see cbsmarketwatch.com for an example) but
the downside is that it doesn't seem to work right across all browsers
(particularly Netscape).

Another alternative that might work for you is Flash.  If you go to
www.flashkit.com you'll find in their "movies" section some examples of
scrolling tickers.

For the record, I *hate* scrolling tickers, but our CEO saw one on another
site and mandated that we *must* have one on ours, too (even though the damn
things are so....so....1996).

Good luck,
Mike