Re: NT Server -- first time user

by "Louise Dade" <louise.dade(at)ntlworld.com>

 Date:  Thu, 15 Nov 2001 11:37:03 -0000
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>>> - Do I have to use an .asp extension to run ASP pages,
> Yes, there is a way to do this, but it's not advisable because if it is an
> NT4 box, then every page must be parsed by the asp interpreter which can
> hurt the number of concurrent users that the server can support.  On Win2k
> boxes that isn't the case.

I should point out that I do not have access to the actual server machine...
this is only a *hosted* website, I only have FTP and Telnet access, as a
normal user.  That is why I was hoping there is a method similar to
.htaccess.

I have gone with every page as .asp now anyway (so the SSI works), but I
have now encountered a problem.  The server is set up so that index.asp does
NOT work as the default page for a directory, only index.htm seems to work.
Again, is there a way of over-riding this from a user's perspective, or am I
going to have to set up a gateway page that automatically redirects users to
index.asp?

> Chilisoft makes an asp interpreter for apache  http://www.chilisoft.com

Aha... I see that the Chilisoft interpreter isn't free - not by a long shot!
I did find Apache:Asp (www.apache-asp.org ), but that only works with
perscript ASP.  I'll have to change the code from VBscript to perlscript --
oy, what a pain in the asp!

> I would leave the extensions though and use Visual Interdev to create the
> asp pages. Visual Interdev uses the front page extensions to connect to
the

It's not a large site, and the ASP is only for the navigation bar (an .asp
include which has ASP code in it) and forms.

Thanks for the pointers!

Louise