RE: off topic - e-mail software

by "Brett Errington" <brett(at)opensearch.com>

 Date:  Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:26:50 +0800
 To:  "'hwg techniques'" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi

Seems this conversation is getting quite lengthy. I would just like to
say that Outlook Express is bad but Outlook isn't. It's a wonderful
program (and I have used Eudora, Netscape Mail, Pegasus and a few other
well known programs) and I still stick with Outlook. I have not been
infected with a virus since I got it. Someone mentioned earlier that the
new XP Outlook blocks attachments that are unsafe which is even better.
Also other people mentioned turning off preview pane. May I also suggest
turning off Macros (things that should only ever be used if you created
them lol). The only way your ever going to be safe from viruses is to be
careful. Check the subject of a message and who sent it ... don't know
the person delete it. Strange subject delete it. Or better yet you can
use ICQ or a web mail program to preview messages on your server before
downloading them. These only usually read the text part of the program.
They will not perform macros and won't auto run files. There is also
that patch that someone else mentioned to block certain file types.

I think it just simply comes down to you personally taking care of your
system. It's the same for how your system performs. I have a PIII 450 at
home with hundreds of apps installed (very big ones in some cases, and a
lot more than the average user) yet my computer runs faster/smoother
than just about everyone else's I know and they all have faster
computers (usually 800 MHz+).

One other thing.... Outlook receives more viruses because it is more
popular but mainly because it is way more powerful. It does some amazing
things that other programs only dream about, but there is always a price
to pay for getting something better. Even so, I remain virus free (touch
wood). Oh and Windows XP now has the personal firewall built into the
O/S... great for these sort of problems.

Later,
Brett

"That's a pain that will shorely linger, and that's no lie" - Ed Grimley