RE: page size

by "tim booker" <timbooker(at)lineone.net>

 Date:  Tue, 7 Mar 2000 10:27:20 -0000
 To:  "'Todd Heitner'" <todd(at)kosoma.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello Todd,

30 - 40KB sounds like a good size.

A commonly quoted number to aim at is 10 to 15 seconds maximum time for your
site to fully load.

If you use a large amount of graphics on your page, make sure you've got a
good GIF and JPG optimiser close at hand.  I use NetGraphics Optimiser which
is part of NetGraphics Studio 2.  It's cheap (I picked up the unlimited
version for �12), but very effective.  Just yesterday I created a bunch of
JPGs in Photoshop.  The images varied in size from 30 to about 45KB.  Then I
used the optimiser to reduce them to 15K each, there was no visible
reduction in quality.  There is a plethora of different optimisers out
there.

There are also a number of different methods that you can use to produce
naturally small graphics files.  For example, if you blur the background of
a photo, when you save as a JPG you will get a smaller file due to the
reduced contrast in the blurred areas.  The best thing to do might be to buy
yourself a book on GIF and JPG compression, or on Photoshop techniques.  A
knowledge of GIF and JPG compression will allow you to integrate a naturally
small file size into your design.

E-mail me if you need more help,

Tim