RE: Website Comments (PHP)

by Jason <dawgclan(at)shaw.ca>

 Date:  Mon, 24 Feb 2003 16:20:49 -0800
 To:  "'Christopher Higgs'" <chiggs(at)unimelb.edu.au>,
"'Davies,
Elizabeth H.'" <EHDavies(at)West.com>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Well I was trying to make this page as close to pure HTML, as possible,
I decided to use PHP because clients don't have to parse any content,
Javascript is in my opinion a bad idea these days, People disable
javascript in their browsers to stop all the junk pop-ups etc that
happen, Javascript is too abused, and therefre I would prefer to steer
away from it, as far as your system you talk about, it went over my
head, I've only begun using PHP, and this would be my first fully
functioning PHP Site, when it's done. I know HTML, CSS, minor
Javascript, and now minor PHP, I thought ActiveX was prompted to be
allowed or disallowed, which takes us back to javascript and all
determined on client side. As this is a professional Site, I don't want
prompts, Fancy Code that has to work on the client, If it's Compatible
in all browsers It's fine with me. Most fancy javascript menu's say they
work in all browsers, but from Experience you always find bugs.
If I am wrong on your ActiveX idea, then please explain some more :) I
need feedback on where to go from here before I continue stripping the
data, Also how meta-tags are going to cause a problem, because if I get
to the end and I have to re-write everything I won't be too happy :|
I can give people the code for the text paging system if it's needed.
Thanks again
Jason