Re: site design II - databasing it

by Jeff Demel <jeff(at)cosmiczombie.com>

 Date:  Wed, 30 Aug 2000 18:15:09 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org,
owner-hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org,
John Allred <allred(at)its.state.ms.us>
  todo: View Thread, Original
PHP and mySQL are free.  Free as in free speech *and* free as in free beer.
Generally, hosting companies charge less for accounts running on Linux with
Apache (oh, they're both free too).  In many cases these provide PHP and
mySQL as part of the package.  Perl is ubiquitous as well.  There are also
companies that provide free hosting and use these technologies.

Don't let yourself be talked into a proprietary system when there's a valid
alternative.  Yes, some may say I'm sneering, but the fact is a company
controls CF.  They can change or pull the plug any time they want.  PHP and
mySQL are supported by a community of developers, most of whom are actually
using the technologies.  I feel much safer with that.  I also have found PHP
extremely easy to learn, well supported with newsgroups, websites, email
lists and user groups, fast, secure, and efficient.  Its syntax is similar
to C and Java, so you're also getting a bit of an introduction to real
programming.

For more info on mySQL:
http://www.mysql.com/information/index.html

For more info on PHP: