RE: Grrr!! Do-it-yourselfers!

by "Martin T. Hugo" <martyh(at)cinci.rr.com>

 Date:  Mon, 27 Aug 2001 22:29:19 -0400
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi All:

Been following this thread with interest and thought I'd have my $.02.

I am not going to get into the "what makes a pro" debate because there
are too many definitions; literal, moral etc.

I would just like to make an observation about the tools that people
use.

Just because people use a development environment (most of them very
expensive, Dreamweaver, Cold Fusion, Hot Metal Pro etc.) that simplifies
their daiy tasks and don't painstakingly type every letter with a
pre-determined peck at the keyboard in a grass-roots basic text editor,
doesn't mean they're unprofessional.

Equally, just because someone uses an inexpensive environment
(FrontPage2000 or later) doesn't mean they're unprofessional either.  I
have seen some very slick sites created in FP.

I don't think anyone would call Micro$oft an unprofessional site.

I think the mark of a professional is not in what you use, but rather
what you do with it.  Personally, I don't care if someone wants to "do
it themselves"; I'd rather work for the ones who have the money so they
don't have to!! <BG>.

Marty