RE: bidding question

by "Carol Parent" <cbwd(at)means.net>

 Date:  Sat, 20 Dec 2003 18:25:21 -0600
 To:  "'Karen Stafford'" <karen(at)noteworthycybersolutions.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Karen,

>From my experience with our Chamber I can offer the following:

1) Do not bid with the thought in mind that it may bring in future =
business
- BUT there is MUCH exposure in having your name at the bottom of a =
chamber
website.
2) Find out who is bidding (you should have an idea of who all 'works' =
in
your area.  Take a look at their sites and pricing, etc.
3) I don't know how 'friendly' you are with the chamber - BUT DON'T GIVE
AWAY ANY IDEAS YOU HAVE FOR THE SITE - if you don't win the bid you may =
find
your ideas implemented by someone else because the chamber liked your =
ideas
but wanted the project to go elsewhere.
4) Remember - a lot of times when dealing with organizations like =
chambers,
it isn't what you can do and how much it will cost BUT who is related to
which member and how much 'pull' the member has - I suppose this can be =
said
for a lot of businesses too.=20

I designed and take care of our chamber site.  I bid 'low' because I =
REALLY
wanted this site and I saw it more as a community service than anything =
else
- but I wasn't going to do it for 'free.'  I find that 'free' tends to =
be
treated as 'no value'.

In my bid I put down my hourly fees and hosting costs, etc.  I do charge
them for the hosting and the cost of their domains but I have never =
billed
them again for my updating time.

Reason - because I can do pretty much what I want without anyone
complaining.  So I get to 'try' things (like my panoramic view of the =
whole
town) and create pages like 'local talent' to show off some of our local =
ppl
who have 'individual' memberships rather than business ones.  (like Ms.
Donavon's watercolor paintings, and Dona's ceramic tiles)
www.remerchamber.com=20

:)

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Carol