Re: Collecting Browser strings

by "Peter Newton" <c-newton(at)ihug.co.nz>

 Date:  Sun, 2 Jan 2000 12:23:41 +1300
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello Shaun,

Yep I don't mind (gulp) displaying the 2 perl scripts.

One question first though is that while the script is on line could someone
successefully view the script details that I will send with the intent to
breach security on to my site or even worse the server???

Also re: "VIEW LIST NOT WORKING!" entry  I've included an extra line which
points to an html file containing the list info. I will update it manually
for you. I noticed that you are the only Netscape 4.5 browser on the list so
Could anyone else let me know if the view list link on the entry form
doesn't work.

Many Thanks
Peter Newton

On 1 Jan 00, at 21:13, Peter Newton wrote:

> So using my newly aquired perl skills (aquired with much
> assistance from this list) I've created a form which if you fill in
> your browser name and version number will add it to a list which
> you can also view.

Way to go, Peter. ;-)  Wouldn't want to share the script with the
list, would you?

An observation.  I added each of my browsers to your list
(Opera3.61, IE5.5, and NN4.08).  I use proxomitron to filter out crap
that I don't want to see, and I have an alternate string defined that
is sent in place of the normal browser ID.  The string is
ArchBrowser/6.75 [fu] (Win99; X; BrainEater)
(yeah, I know it's weird).  As you'll see, I didn't have the proxy
setting activated in IE when I did that one, but the other two were.
Anyway, the point being that you may not get 100% accurate
strings, since people could use a proxy of some kind to feed you
false data.

(I'm going to do NN and Opera again, btw)