RE: ASP design issue

by "Mike Carlson" <domitianx(at)domitianx.com>

 Date:  Tue, 14 Aug 2001 21:36:00 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

************************
Mike Carlson
http://www.domitianx.com
domitianx(at)domitianx.com
************************

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Carlson [mailto:domitianx(at)domitianx.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2001 9:29 PM
To: 'Emerald Spirit'
Subject: RE: ASP design issue

If its only 5 pages doing simple add/edit and deletes, why use a servlet
at all?

You are looking at a 10 to 12 lines of code max for each db function.

As for the login, use IIS user permissions or a simple user table to
validate against.

Something like you are doing should take less than a day or so to put
together.

If you really NEED to use a servlet, then I would suggest one servlet.
The reason is that object instantiation is extremely expensive as far as
resources go. If you can instantiate the object once, perform a few
different functions on it and then destroy, then you will save the
overhead of creating and destroying the servlet multiple times.

But I REALLY don't think you need to create a servlet for it.

Mike Carlson
http://www.domitianx.com
domitianx(at)domitianx.com