RE: Old Bag, New Questions (More on Designers/Developers and Knowledge Needed)
by "Andre L Crane" <andre(at)terracrane.com>
||Tue, 26 Mar 2002 17:45:17 -0500
These answers are really just my opinion.
Web Designer: Primarily a front end developer. Skills that I would look
for if hiring a web designer are:
- expertise in high end graphics applications, such as Photoshop or
- excellent CSS skills
- excellent DHTML skills
- thorough knowledge of HTML in all of it's flavors
- excellent browser compatibility knowledge
- excellent web page layout and design skills as they relate to usability
Web Developer: Primarily a backend developer. Web developers should have
most of the skills listed above with the exception of the layout and design
and graphics knowledge. In addition a web developer should have the
- expertise in at least one OO language such as Java, C or VB
- expertise in at least one flavor of server side scripting such as JSP,
ASP, PHP or Cold Fusion
- firm grasp of internet protocols & standards
- expertise in some form of database such as SQL Server, MySQL or Oracle
- firm grasp of architecture design and implementation as it applies to the
I've not covered everything here obviously, but you get the idea.
I have worked with some people who've had Comp Sci degrees who practically
levitated in front of the computer they were so good. But then I have also
worked with Comp Sci graduates who couldn't code their way out of a paper
bag much less defrag their system... One of the most talented developers I
have ever worked with graduated with a degree in theatre arts. I saw this
guy learn java and in 6 months he was better than most of the seasoned java
vets we had on staff... So what I am saying is that it totally depends on
the person and what they are willing to put into it.
[mailto:owner-hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org]On Behalf Of Jami Moore
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 2:59 PM
Subject: Old Bag, New Questions (More on Designers/Developers and
Ok, so now that I've heard from a few of you and gotten your input on
what a designer/developer needs in the field today, I have two new
1. a. What is a web designer?
b. What is a web developer?
c. What is the difference between the two and how do you tell which you
are or want to be?
2. Do you think a person should go to a college/university/etc. to get
an Associates in Web Design if they are NOT teaching some of the
required skills you feel are needed in the field today? What would be
the way for a person to break into the field today if not attending a
Any comments and responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
HWG hwg-techniques mailing list archives,
maintained by Webmasters @ IWA