Re: Drum Beat 2000

by "Ken Richardson" <krichardson(at)escape.ca>

 Date:  Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:45:31 -0600
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I have used Drumbeat 2K for two months last summer.  It does several things
very well, however all of those things like layout can be done in other
programs, It also creates ASP, CGI code as well as many DHTML effects. These
are cross browser. You have the opportunity to select your browser level and
then the program will only let you create pages that support that level of
browser.  It also can create a "Generic" page for low end browsers. That is
the good. You use cascading  templates for layout. This can be a very good
thing.  The job I did using this program required different template for
different areas of the site.  This was very easy as top level template
contained elements that appeared on every page and lower level template
inherited from top level templates.  I think a poor explanation of  this
area however consider it a strength of the program.

The bad is I feel that Macromedia does not support this product well.  It
has a steep learning curve. The code is difficult to read.  There is not a
lot of resources available for it. There is only a "Dummy's" book available.
There are few resources on the web.  There is however two manuals that come
with it. A "Quick Start Tutorial" and a Reference. These are quite good.
They do have the limitation of not going far enough in the tutorial about
more complex areas.

This program is supposed to be a layout tool as well as used to create ASP
and CGI for a website and can do both reasonably well.

Ken