RE: site design II - databasing it

by "Henry Boleszny" <seaeagle(at)one.net.au>

 Date:  Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:52:04 +1000
 To:  "Techniques - HWG" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>,
"John Allred" <webmaster(at)mscounties.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi John and fellow list members,

I was the original poster and, like you, have followed the debate with
interest.  So far, the score is tied at 50-50!

I would love to read that message you referred to.  I don't mind paying to
get the job done right - but I need to know my options before I start so
that I don't waste time and money.

Cash is a major issue at the moment because we recently relocated and used
up all our reserves.  The database is important - we need to simplify both
the ordering process as well as keeping track of monthly royalty payments.
At the moment, both processes are done manually and, given the small list of
products and authors, this is tolerable (sort of).

We know both lists will grow ... soon.  It is therefore important to set up
the database now rather than try and do it when we have no time and a lot of
work to do!

I believe in the KISS principle - but sometimes that does not mean "low/no
cost", as you pointed out.  I have no issues with proprietary solutions -
but I am aware that Access does present problems in terms of access speed
when used on-line.  That was why I sought alternatives.  Free is nice (and
easy on the hip nerve) and the options mentioned do give me a chance to
develop some much-needed skills in on-line database development.  It is
equally true that 'time is money' and I can't afford to waste either ...
hence the tied result!

By the way, thanks to everyone who has supplied suggestions so far.  I do
appreciate your comments.  Feel free to keep posting on this issue, it
certainly is one that never seems to go away!

Henry John & Amy Boleszny
 Partners
 Sea Eagle Publications
 ABN 24 604 217 122

E-mail:         seaeagle(at)one.net.au
Web:           http://www.seaeagle.aunz.com/
Phone/Fax:  (07) 5529 2661
Mail/Locale: 1/9 Possum Court, Coombabah QLD 4216, Australia