Re: bookmark script

by "Seth Wilschutz" <swhwg(at)neo.rr.com>

 Date:  Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:55:10 -0400
 To:  "Gaetano Wojciechowski" <kwojcie(at)hotmail.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> What I need now, is the script to make the thing work, that is the
> javascript (I assume that's what it is) that actually let's you place your
> own icon in the address bar, and later in the favorites folder
(incidentally
> this feature works spottily in IE6 Beta, probably depending on the method
> used.)
>
> If anyone here knows the script, or can point me in the right direction,
> I would be much obliged.

Hello Gaetano,

Actually, it's nothing more than a bit of HTML.  Here's how you get the
Favorites icon to appear when your site is bookmarked.

1:  Make an icon that is 16 pixels by 16 pixels.  It MUST be that size or it
will be ignored by Internet Explorer.
2:  Use an icon editor to convert the file to the correct icon format.  (For
example, you could use the one that comes with Microsoft Visual Studio or
others.  A list can be found at the following location:
    http://graphicssoft.about.com/compute/graphicssoft/msubiconedit.htm
3:  Save the file as favicon.ico.  It MUST have that exact name.
4:  Upload the file to the root directory of the page(s) you want it
associated with.
5:  (Optional) Link the file to your HTML page(s) that you want it
associated with using the following code in the HEAD section of the HTML
document.
    <.link rel="shortcut icon" href="path to icon/favicon.ico">

That does it.  Hope that helps.
Seth