Re: AAGH! CSS/DHTML and TWO backgrounds!

by "Roger Stenning" <roger(at)isgwds.enterprise-plc.com>

 Date:  Mon, 4 Jun 2001 21:59:56 +0100
 To:  <hwg-style(at)mail.hwg.org>,
<hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>,
"Ellen Guttadauro" <eguttadauro(at)uclalumni.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
HI, Ellen,

> I nearly lost my mind with the problem of two backgrounds.

LOL - how WELL I know THAT feeling (twitch, twitch)!

[snip]

heh. It's called "tunnel vision", lol; has a similar problem, until I
called 'uncle', and asked the list for help.

> First I tried styles  with no-repeat specs and specialized browser
> stylesheets.  I was rewarded with fire-breathing frustration.  So oh
> well.

lol

> The solution: the company standard background is in the body tag as
> html.  The golden guy is a background image in a table tag of a
> layout table which is nested inside the larger layout table.  (yes,
> gross)  The golden guy table background is a big image, which you
> didn't want for loading times.  But using Fireworks compression I
got
> the 547x2020 gif down to 3k.  Not too bad.  The image repeats
> eventually vertically, but that's ok-- the pages are way too long in
> monotonous text anyway.

ok... so a 547x2020 gif at 3k is 'not too bad'?! STREWTH! I'd say it
was next to miraculous, and I use F3 as well! Well done!

> So I ended up not using styles at all, just a nested table with an
> IE-only tag of <table background="guy.gif">  Netscape users will
have
> to go without.  If there are better solutions, I'm listening.

Table backgrounds are a problem, there's no doubt, and linked css just
doesn't wortk in NN anyhow (afaik - ymmv), but in this case, it
matters little, as the audience for this are all IE5+ users.

In any event, we have a solution, usingcss - please see my previous
post!

Thanks, by the way, for replying - it's much obliged!

Best regards,

Roger Stenning,
Development Team Leader, "Outwards!"
"Outwards!" web site:
    http://www.the-isg.co.uk/outwards/index.html
Webmaster, The Impossible Scenarios Group
    http://www.the-isg.co.uk/index.html
ICQ: 74721632
UK Amateur Radio call sign: G1LIW
(PGP public key available on request)
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this message
may not be those of the ISG. The information in this email and
in any attachments may be confidential and/or privileged. If you
are not the intended recipient, you should not retain, copy or
use this email for any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of
its content to any other person - you should also destroy this
message, delete any copies held on your systems and notify
the sender immediately.