Re: Text/Images won't show up in tables

by "Billy Dean" <billy61(at)earthlink.net>

 Date:  Sat, 5 Jul 2003 10:30:35 -0700
 To:  "HWG - Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Wanda,

Yes, I agree with Stephanie. Go back and rethink the tabular layout. My
suggestion would be to build separate tables for each major display element,
rather than nest them inside of each other. The nesting was too complicated
for me to visualize in your code, so I took your source code off line, and
installed border="1" bordercolor="red" in the first table, border="1"
bordercolor="blue" in the second table and so forth so I could see each
table in your layout.

Then I did what Stephanie is suggesting: replace all the missing and
incorrect (what looked "wrong" to me) </td>s, </tr>s and so forth. I also
placed a colspan="2" in the first cell of the "yellow" table (the one just
below your logo and flash? script). I also found a <font color="#000000"> in
the cells where you have placed "Write article here..." which you probably
did intentionally until you get the site finished.

After these changes, I could see the stuff in your missing table, which is
the one I called your "green" table. If you rethink the layout, it should
work OK.

It is my opinion that Front Page (like most WYSIWYG editors) uses "strange"
ways to build tables and other features. Do you really need to design in
Front Page? Sounds like you already know HTML pretty well. Tables "scale"
well, and are therefore good for designing pages that accomodate different
sized monitors, but they can be difficult to implement -- especially when
you try to nest them. And tables are not very user friendly to search engine
spiders. Have you thought of designing with style sheets (CSS and CSSP)?

Keep us posted on your progress...

Billy Dean
'98 XV1100
billy61(at)earthlink.net
http://www.qwertyarrow.com/virago.htm
"Don't give me no plastic saddle -- I want to feel that leather when I
ride..."