Client Updates (summary)

by "Chris Bickford" <cbickford(at)sitebuilder.org>

 Date:  Sat, 5 Feb 2000 21:11:50 -0600
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I asked:
> I'm wondering if there is any software that can run on a Win95/98/NT box
> that can automatically wrap text typed in by the client to a page
> template, update link pages and upload the modified files to a server.

> This could be used to allow a client to add press releases, news items,
> etc.

> Does anyone know of a solution for this out there?  I'm not looking at
> something like Vignette, but a lite version of same.

You told me about:
Allaire's Spectra
has the basic features, as well as many additional features.  It is an
actual
full blown content management system running on Cold fusion and a bit over
the top for most purposes.
http://www.allaire.com/products/spectra/

Dreamweaver
HTML editor that can lock certain sections of the page (allowing editing of
the content), but still requires FTP capability to move the pages to the
server.
http://www.macromedia.com/software/dreamweaver/

Futurethru
automated web based page updater that runs on NT/ASP.  It does allow for
updates without FTP, but does not allow for the addition of new pages.
http://www.futurethru.com/

GDIdb
tool that can generate code along with Macro programming, and draws content
from a database (Access or others).
http://www.gdidb.com/

Trellix
offers the same sort of functionality and is free software.
http://www.trellix.com/Product/TrellixWeb.asp

Netcape/ Front Page Express/ Front Page
While Front Page requires a separate purchase, both Netscape Composer and
Front Page express are rolled into the respective browsers, and do come with
FTP capabilities.  Unfortunately, all will mangle code and do not have code
locking capabilities.

Thanks for all the answers!

--
Chris Bickford- cbickford(at)sitebuilder.org -Director,Technical Services
The sitebuilder.org Company - http://www.sitebuilder.org/