RE: old browsers (was: web safe background)

by "Peter Cutler" <pcs(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:05:47 -0700
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
An old argument. And I believe the answer is unchanged.
Who is the audience?
To make a blanket statment that the user needs to upgrade to see a site,
well, let's see.
I often work with beginners and just plain ole users and I can tell you
this. They NEVER upgrade their browsers on their own, don't know how, and
don't want to be bothered.
Additionally, there remains a large pool of older equipment public access
computers, some incapable of handling newer browsrs. Should they be
precluded from viewing a site?
An analogy could be, broadcast a show in color, can a B&W TV receive it?
Print something in color, should a color blind person be excluded from
viewing it?

Want to deliver a message to a target group, code for them, otherwise
deliver to all.

Bottom line for me, who is the audience? (do I repeat myself<grin>)

Peter