RE: Web page development question

by "Katherine Pollara" <kpollara(at)home.com>

 Date:  Thu, 30 Aug 2001 14:43:09 -0400
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
This is an interesting question.  I ran into a situation where I wanted to
link to specific pages at www.blues.org on our site.  If you go to this page
http://www.blues.org/ibc/2000/  and click on any link on this page, the url
doesn't change.  In order for me to link to internal pages in this directory
I had to view source to see what the page names really were.  I was
wondering how this is done.

I happen to think this is a stupid idea that discourages linking.  I am sure
they do this to gain control over how folks enter their site, but it is
futile.  Anyone with a tiny bit of knowledge of html can get the file names
and link to the pages of their choice, which is exactly what I did.

I am very interested in hearing your thoughts about this.

Sorry about the earlier email with nothing in it.  Just an error.
Kate Pollara

From: Carol Brooks [mailto:carolsbrooks(at)yahoo.com]

Is there a way to change what appears in the address
bar? Like someone clicks on a link to
http://www.mypage.com/justapage.html and instead of
that appearing in the address bar the developer could
have a message appear like "Welcome to my page". Hope
this makes sense!