Re: CSS inheritance - newbie question

by "EB" <doublebase(at)wanadoo.nl>

 Date:  Wed, 3 Oct 2001 18:22:27 +0200
 To:  "HWG Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>

From: Larry Coats <lcoats(at)gte.net>
Subject: Re: CSS inheritance - newbie question

| I thought it might be worth pointing out one little pitfall.

always :-)

| If you're interested in supporting IE 3 users, IE 3 recognizes
| individual font properties such as font-family and font-weight, but it
| does not recognize the shorthand font property and will ignore it. It's
| just the opposite on the background property: it recognizes the
| shorthand background property, but ignores more specific properties such
| as background-color.

:-( didn't know that, are you sure (eh, sorry)?
in general, shorthands are supposed to be safer with older browsers.
unfortunately i don't have any 1st hand experience with that,
and can't install ie3 or ie4, but was happy to find this site recently:
http://www.endoframe.com/css/ie3.html
they don't mention it, neither does eric meyer
http://www.webreview.com/style/css1/charts/mastergrid.shtml
not all font properties are fully supported, but the shorthand should work
(as i understand it)

sheers, eric