Re: Real Video

by "Mike Taylor" <lonewolf(at)one.net>

 Date:  Sat, 15 Jan 2000 13:59:28 -0500
 To:  "J.P. Ambrutis" <jpa(at)aye.net>,
"HWG" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi JP:

It depends on the quality of the video stream that will determine the
overall size.  Granted, streaming video on the web as it is right now is not
too impressive, but as the technology evolves we might see better quality
and smaller file sizes.

I have a 13-minute video on my personal web site that was G2 encoded, which
usually means the file size will be larger.  It is 44 mb.  However, I also
have a 3-minute video that's only 4.3 mb in size, but it's encoded in a
lower quality G2 setting.  They are both 240 x 180 in size.

Figuring out who your target audience is will also help determine the file
size.  For example, do your visitors primarily connect at 28.8?  Are they
corporate users with T1 lines?  I'm sure it won't surprise you to know that
file size and video quality are directly proportional to each other.

Mike