RE: CFM vs ASP

by "Kenneth Dombrowski" <printer2(at)designmattersinc.com>

 Date:  Mon, 13 May 2002 14:06:05 -0400
 To:  "'Gibson,
Timmi'" <timmig(at)verbatim.com.au>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

If you're not already committed to a technology, base your decision on
the developers themselves. Comparing reliability or speed of PHP ASP
mod_perl CFM JSP is really just academic (well, JSP is pretty slow) or
political. CFM is probably the least extensible if that's the aspect
you're researching, and I never looked for one, but the developers are
probably harder to come by. Unless you're unhappy with it, use whatever
fits best in the environment you already have; your static HTML probably
already lives on a virtual NT or *NIX server - some technologies are
still more or less appropriate for certain environments. There's more of
a difference between the commonly available database servers, I do a lot
of PHP-MySql sites (and prefer it), but won't trust commerce data to a
system with no referential integrity, no (or new? Is it there yet?)
transactions, etc.. So I use ASP-SQL Server for those.

Look at similar projects the candidates have done in the past and how
long it took them to complete, etc. Competency is completely independent
of the tools

Hth,

Ken