Re: Meta tags and frame pages

by "Hilma" <Hilma(at)hilma.freeserve.co.uk>

 Date:  Sat, 1 Jun 2002 18:18:29 +0100
 To:  "HWG Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>,
"Regan Pride" <icantoo(at)ncia.net>
>From the FAQ of
http://deadlock.com/promotion/faq.html#frames

===============

Q: What's wrong with frames?
A normal site can have one listing for each page on the site. A framed site
has only one URL and therefore can only get one listing, which usually only
contains frame info (no keywords). To see what I'm talking about, go
anywhere on your framed site and view the source code (in Netscape, CTRL-U).
You'll notice two things. First, it'll be the same page wherever you are on
the site. Second, it'll most likely contain only 'FRAMESET' info. This is
exactly what the search engine robot will see when it visits your site. Now
you can see why you'll end up with one weak listing, if any.
Next, you'll point to some famous site and ask why they're using frames.
Answer: because they're not interested in search engine placement, since
they have thousands of dollars to spend on other promotion, like TV
advertising and banner campaigns.

Solutions:
  a.. List all your framed pages anyway.
  I can get all your pages listed regardless. However, this means that when
a user finds your search engine listing and clicks on it, they'll end up on
a naked page that should be viewed within a frame. So, this method makes the
whole purpose of having frames in the first place redundant.

  b.. Make the best of what you have.
  This involves optimising your home page using <NOFRAMES> tags that you may
have heard about. However, with this method you can still only get one
listing, whereas your competitor who has a non-framed site with ten pages
can get ten listings and therefore, in theory, has ten times more potential
than you.

  c.. Gateway pages.
  Now we're getting on to the satisfactory solutions... I can create
powerful keyword-loaded pages for you designed specifically to 'suck in'
targeted traffic. Users would arrive at these pages from the search engines,
which would in turn link to your main (framed) site. You wouldn't need to
modify your main site at all. Please ask me about 'Gateway Pages' if you're
interested.

  d.. Get rid of the frames (the ideal solution).