Re: AAGH! CSS/DHTML and TWO backgrounds!

by "Roger Stenning" <roger(at)isgwds.enterprise-plc.com>

 Date:  Mon, 4 Jun 2001 19:26:18 +0100
 To:  <tbradley-icc(at)home.com>,
"Peter-Paul Koch" <gassinaumasis(at)hotmail.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Thomas  and Peter-Paul -

You both replied to me call for help - thanks; I'm replying to the
both of you, in this one mesage, to reduce list clutter!

====================

Thomas -

> What you want to do is eay except for 1 thing. The variability part
will be
> tough to do. I just can't figure how to do it right now.

OK, thanks.

> Essentially all you have to do is create a new layer ( <div ) and
populate
> it with text, postion it so that it appears above or behind (as you
prefer)
> the rest of the page.

OK, this is the same as Peter-Paul sugested, as well.

[snip]

> Adjust the z-index: attribute to position in relation to other layer
> elements.

I'm using '-1', thanks.

> If there is something you want placed in front of your "draft"
layer, then
> place it in a layer and define the z-index to a lower number.

Gotcha.

> Use the left and top designations to position and the width and
height to
> adjust size.

OK, great, thanks.

> No DHTL necessary, if you ever need some DHTML work done for you, I
contract
> on other jobs and would be happy to do the programming end.

LOL - I'll bear it in mind, thanks!

========================

Peter-Paul -

> See http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/tests/drafttest.html for a working
> specimen.

Excellent - thanks!

> You'll have to fiddle with the exact font size and positions of the
> letters and so on, but it generally works.

I've uploaded an example (not the final version, a draft test, if you
will ;-) ) of what I'll be using to
http://www.the-isg.co.uk/drafttest.html

> As to the fixed watermark stuff, you'll have to reposition the DIV
> with class "container" onScroll.

I can replace 'absolute' with 'fixed', but I think, looking at it,
that it'd be redundant; at least, this way, using the 'absolute', it
gets the message across!

Peter, I thank you!

Folks - the two replies I got pointed me in just the right direction;
the draft of the draft (lol) will be on view for a few days at
http://www.the-isg.co.uk/drafttest.html, in case you want to see it.

BTW - note for people - it's a good idea, if you use this, to
experimant with colours; you want it bold enough to be spotted, but
not too 'in your face' as to obstruct easy reading of your material.
Not an easy thing to get right!

Folks, once again, this/these lists have done the trick; well done,
and again, thanks!

Best regards,

Roger Stenning,
Development Team Leader, "Outwards!"
"Outwards!" web site:
    http://www.the-isg.co.uk/outwards/index.html
Webmaster, The Impossible Scenarios Group
    http://www.the-isg.co.uk/index.html
ICQ: 74721632
UK Amateur Radio call sign: G1LIW
(PGP public key available on request)
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this message
may not be those of the ISG. The information in this email and
in any attachments may be confidential and/or privileged. If you
are not the intended recipient, you should not retain, copy or
use this email for any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of
its content to any other person - you should also destroy this
message, delete any copies held on your systems and notify
the sender immediately.