Re: IE 6 and css

by "Michael Gerholdt" <gerholdt(at)fredonia.edu>

 Date:  Wed, 27 Mar 2002 07:50:46 -0500
 To:  "Steve Mount" <steve(at)saltyrain.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> > Actually, you should be encouraging this, because it is a simpler
> > notation, and because most of these colors are going to be among the 216
> > web safe colors (as long as they use 0, 3, 6, 9, C, or F).
> >  -Ryan

<snip>

> Having #111 or #444 mean #111111 or #444444 might seem like a good idea to
> some, and for those, more power to you.  To me, and I suspect an unheard
> mass out there, it is a triviality, best left unused.  If you mean
#111111,
> say #111111, and everyone will know what you mean.
>
> -Steve

In general, I don't disagree that explicit is often to be preferred over
implicit.

In this case, I don't expect that you are right that this is a largely
unknown feature; I've been using 3-character color codes in CSS since I
started using CSS some years ago. There's no confusion and it is in fact a
humanly faster read than 6 characters, so code is easier rather than harder
to read.

But then, you got way more people on your side, what with that unheard mass
and all.

I give ... <g>

Mike