Re: XML syndication

by "Mike Taylor" <lonewolf(at)one.net>

 Date:  Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:41:03 -0400
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>

From: "Andrew McFarland" <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>
To: <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 3:24 PM
Subject: Re: XML syndication

> Not really. You would use an existing parser and convert it to whatever
> format you want using XSLT.

So why do these blog sites make this available to an audience made up of
mostly bloggers who aren't techies?  XSLT is a little more advanced than
your typical styling language.  Maybe it's just a vanity plate of sorts?
"Look, Ma, I've got this all in XML format, even though most of you won't
know what to do with it?"

> Its worth emphasizing the `whatever format' bit. You could convert it to
> XHTML (any version), RTF, .DOC, PDF, PostScript, or you could feed it into
> the database of your choice. You can do more or less anything to it.

Wouldn't I first need the DTD to do that?  I mean, wouldn't I need a means
of knowing what the <link>, <title> and <description> tags meant?

> For most simple XML documents it should be quite easy to do. Try doing all
> of the above using HTML 3.2 ...

If you know XSLT, I'd be inclined to agree...but the audience of these sites
don't appear to be hardcore programmers...I know I'm certainly not --I write
VB all day.