Re: .htaccess problems

by "Roger Stenning" <roger(at)isgwds.enterprise-plc.com>

 Date:  Wed, 8 Mar 2000 00:28:28 -0000
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Jose -

> This is the first time I have actually attempted to use .htaccess and I
keep
> having a problem.

Tell me about it - I had similar problems, when I first played with it!

> The content of the .htaccess file is:
>
> <Limit GET POST>
>     order deny,allow
>     allow from .ac.uk
>     deny from ALL
> </Limit>
>
> This should allow all hosts from academic institutions in the
uk.....right?

In theory, yes, however:

> The problem is that as soon as I place the .htaccess file in ANY
directory, no
> files in that directory are accessible (I am in a .ac.uk host!)

The first caveat, ALLOW, is fine. The second undoes it, and bars every
attempt to access the site (including ac.uk).

I'd try losing the DENY elements, then trying to access it from a
non-university site, to see if it works, i.e., denies access to non-ac.uk
entities.

HTH!

Best regards,

Roger Stenning
Intelligent Web Design Services
    http://iws.n3.net/
Contact me for my PGP Public Key.

Webmaster for the Impossible Scenarios Group
    http://www.the-isg.co.uk/index.html