form validation

by "Roger Harness" <magic32(at)jps.net>

 Date:  Sat, 22 Dec 2001 00:05:38 -0800
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Ok folks, I should be able to figure this out by myself, but I'm not having
much luck.

NOT being a javascript expert, i've pretty much taken this code directly
from a jscript book, and successfully made it mine. It works perfect, until
I tried to get it to check for a selected radio button (the last if
statement). I'm sure my syntax isn't correct (obviously), but i've tried
every combination to check for that empty address field AND for a "yes"
checked radio button.

Here's the radio button info (and i know...font tags are bad...im behind the
times, please ignore):

size="2"><strong>&nbsp;&nbsp;Would you like to receive our
<input type="radio" name="want_newsletter" value="no">no</td>

and here is my javascript:

<script language="JavaScript">
<!--
// CHECKS FOR NULL AND/OR EMPTY FIELDS
function isFilled(elm) {
	if (elm.value == "" ||
	    elm.value == null)
	return false;
	else return true;
}
function isReady(form) {
	if (isFilled(form.first_name) == false) {
	alert("please enter your first name");
	form.first_name.focus();
	return false;
	}
	if (isFilled(form.last_name) == false) {
	alert("please enter your last name");
	form.last_name.focus();
	return false;
	}
	if (isFilled(form.T1) == false) {
	alert("please enter your phone #");
	form.T1.focus();
	return false;
	}
	if ((isFilled(form.address) == false) && (form.want_newsletter.checked ==
'yes')) {
	alert("please enter your address to receive newsletter");
	form.address.focus();
	return false;
	}

return true;
}
//-->
</script>

Ive tried form.want_newsletter.checked , form.want_newsletter.checked.value
, form.want_newsletter.value , etc etc etc. either errors, or just wont
work.

Any ideas?

tia,

Roger Harness