RE: .shtml?

by "Brett Errington" <brett(at)opensearch.com>

 Date:  Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:26:18 +0800
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Yeah

.shtml simply refers to web pages that are processed by the server
first. This means they have elements that are often dynamic etc. The
protocol (<-- that's the right word here I think.... forgive me if it's
not, I'm still 1/2 asleep) https:// is used for secure connections.

The difference between .asp and .shtml is that .asp is actually a coding
language processed by the MS engine on top of the basic server. .shtml
is the commands available from just the basic server (e.g. you can
retrieve the system date). ASP is more like ColdFusion or PHP. They are
an extension on top of the basic server. That's how I see it anyway,
other people probably have better and more accurate explanations, but I
think if you don't want to get technical then you can think about it
this way.

Later,
Brett

"That's a pain that will shorely linger, and that's no lie" - Ed Grimley