Re: How to open page in inline window

by "Mike Taylor" <lonewolf(at)one.net>

 Date:  Thu, 6 Jun 2002 19:04:48 -0400
 To:  "HWG list" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Vivisimo's JavaScript is much more straightforward and cleaner, I think.
They strictly use IFRAMES with their method and don't depend on CSS to
"fool" the user into believing the "[preview]" line is a hyperlink like the
other site did.  The other site was using CSS to generate a "hand" cursor
icon to fool the user, then they used JavaScript to recognize the
faux-hyperlink line as a string, that in turn intiated a series of functions
to either activate or deactivate the preview pane.

While Vivisimo's uses only IFRAMES (and therefore doesn't work on Netscape
4.x) the other site seems to try not only IFRAMEs but also an <object>
(which is why some of you saw an ActiveX error).  Even with that
combination, the other site still doesn't seem to achieve its goal in some
browsers.  It's curious why they try to do BOTH an object and IFRAMES...I
thought if your browser supported ActiveX objects (like IE) that it
typically also supports IFRAMES....oh well.

My vote is for Vivisimo's version! :)

Mike