Re: Screen Resolution, centering and Instant Messenger

by "fiore" <fiore(at)futura.net>

 Date:  Sat, 26 Feb 2000 02:51:16 -0600
 To:  <hgquinn(at)attglobal.net>,
"Cindy Stanley - Stanley Support Service" <stanleysupport(at)prodigy.net>
 Cc:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Does anyone know
> if messenger apps are still as hot as they used to be?

Well, I have ICQ and it's open anytime I'm not gaming, even if there's
nobody I want to talk to.  Why?  Because it keeps my internet connection
alive... my ISP has a 15 minute inactivity daemon, and if I'm just surfing,
many times I'm on a single page for longer than 15 minutes after it's
loaded.  However, 95% of the time, I have it minimized anyway.

ICQ has a "snap-to" function, where maximizing will give it its own space on
the desktop, and other windows will just take up the remaining space.  IMHO,
this makes moving things to the left irrelevant, because when ICQ (not sure
about the other ones) is maximized, the web pages are automatically shunted
to the left, regardless of whether they're centered or not.  They're
centered to the window, not the screen.

I suppose it could be a problem if users are not using the ICQ snap-to
function, but I'm willing to be that most of those people generally have it
minimized anyway.

HTH!

Jennifer
Jennifer Calas