Re: Databases question

by "Gary Krockover" <gary(at)garykrockover.com>

 Date:  Sat, 9 Aug 2003 09:01:18 -0500
 To:  "Techniques [HWG]" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
You can go with commercial packages such as Filemaker pro or even MS Access,
not a freeware solution for you though.

You can make your own web based application, setting up some server software
and then hitting http://localhost/.  PHP (www.php.net) and MySQL
(www.mysql.com) would be free options, with a little bit of a learning curve
though not too terribly difficult.

I love programming in WebDNA (http://webdna.smithmicro.com).  It is also a
web based application, but very easy to use, and you can use either flat
text databases or a SQL database such as MySQL.  WebDNA is really simple to
learn and is comparable to ColdFusion in the tags that it uses
(http://webdna.smithmicro.com/ref/index.html).  You can grab the new 5.1
developer's edition for free and run it locally or as part of an intranet.
It'll run on several OS's as well:
http://store.smithmicro.com/buy/FreeWebDNADE.tpl?refcode=DRC_main.  Also has
a very small footprint as far as size on disk; my current install is just
22mb minus the actual sites that I'm running.  As far as databasing, there
isn't anything that I can't do with it, I've done CMS's, PIM's,
calendaring/scheduling, parts management (CSM), and about 20 storefronts.

GK