RE: site design II - databasing it

by Keith Purtell <kpurtell(at)vantagemed.net>

 Date:  Thu, 31 Aug 2000 14:38:52 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
You're right; they're not free. However, innumerable Microsoft customers out
there have the perception that ASP is free, because most tools used to
develop it are included with NT installation media. It's this perception,
and the failure of business owners to consider purchase costs vs
development/maintenance costs, that causes ColdFusion advocates much
frustration. I'm told that PHP advocates have faced frustration arising from
customer perception that open source means low quality. A similar myth
surrounds a lot of perfectly good shareware. Finally, it has been my
experience that the ColdFusion development community is unusually generous
about sharing the details of various solutions, so in effect we share most
of the characteristics of an open-source community (except for that pesky
purchase price).

Keith Purtell, Web Designer