Re: Homesite

by "Michael Gerholdt" <gerholdt(at)fredonia.edu>

 Date:  Sun, 4 Mar 2001 12:26:42 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>,
"Ed McClelland" <ed.mcclelland(at)erols.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
<chuckle>NoteTab Pro .. old fashioned?</chuckle>

It dances circles 'round Homesite in any event. And I like Homesite.

Use MS Word's 'save as html' and same in WordPerfect. (You'll find
WordPerfect creates much better html.)

Then use a combination of Tidy (for which NoteTab Pro has internal support)
and some clips - either homegrown or download from the NoteTab Pro site and
modified to suit your purposes. (Actually, you can run Tidy from the clip as
well.) Once you get the clips written and the routine down you can move from
MS Word doc file to an html document that have your preferred version of
html in a matter of seconds.

Steps to take:
1) Open doc in MS Word and save it as html to your preferred location; close
MS Word.
2) Open the file in NoteTab Pro. Run Tidy against it. Build clips to handle
any remaining coding problems.
3) Write a clip that knows where to find the MS Word doc (looks in the
correct directory) and allows you to choose the doc to open, and which
includes a command to run Tidy as well as the other clips you have created
to make the html meet your standards.

This is not a trivial process but perhaps not as big a task as it may sound.
Once you have completed this, it will go a long way toward saving you lots
of time in the future.

You will have to do this once for MS products, and once for WordPerfect. The
latter task will be much easier.

Here's a clip which helps to get rid of all font or italic or any other tags
that you choose (it prompts for user input; I've used it primarily for
getting rid of MS Office products ugly overuse of the font tag). It uses
regular expression pattern as supported by NoteTab Pro's clip language and
so gets the opening and closing tags regardless of the content or lack
thereof of the former. You can use this as a stand-alone clip or as one line
in a larger clip.

^!Replace "</*^?[What tag?=_FONT|I][^>]*>" >> "" IRWAG

Regards,
Michael Gerholdt
SUNY College at Fredonia