Re: htaccess files revisited.

by "Mike Taylor" <lonewolf(at)one.net>

 Date:  Sun, 21 Oct 2001 23:33:59 -0400
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>

From: "jim barchuk" <jb(at)jbarchuk.com>

> But this is starting to sound a little odd. Actually I don't quite
> understand why you're trying to do this. Once you're under php you're free
> to do anything you want. You can do your own 'includes' at the php script
> level, no? No need for any other server process other than that.

It probably sounds odd due to my ignorance.  My experience with PHP thus far
has been limited to a few things, such as the strstr() function, echo,
simple arrays and some basic browser detection.

My other .html pages have an include executing a CGI script called
"logger.cgi" that tracks user traffic.   It's a great script written in Perl
by Alan Fraser (http://w3.one.net/~a_fraser/source/source.html) that I've
been using for years.  I have one or two PHP pages on my site, the first of
which is the homepage, but it's also a page I wanted to add the "logger"
script to.  I'm also using the strstr() function for another purpose, so I
felt it necessary to have both the ability for the include file to execute.

I removed the second AddType in my first example, and that enabled the
include to run.  So it looks like my fears are correct:  the latest
directive is the one the .htaccess file recognizes.  I guess it's analogous
to setting a variable and then resetting it to another value later on.
Unfortunately, I need both to work.

I tried adding the line AddHandler server-parsed .php but the result is that
the browser doesn't know how to handle the page.  Instead of the browser
rendering the page, it asks me if I want to download the .php file.

Mike