Re: (2nd post) Speeding up image loading; learning route to source

by "Mike Taylor" <lonewolf(at)one.net>

 Date:  Wed, 21 Nov 2001 01:18:24 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>

From: "Jay Smith" <jay(at)JaySmith.com>
To: <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2001 5:13 PM
Subject: (2nd post) Speeding up image loading; learning route to source

> Follow me carefully here....
> I have noticed (and a couple testers have reported) that when I view
> ANY image, the pop-up window opens immediately, but it takes several
> seconds (5-10) to for the FIRST-VIEWED IMAGE to start loading.
> Subsequent loadings of ANY (repeat, ANY) image is much faster (maybe
> 1-4 seconds).

I don't think that proves anything, particularly if your testers all live in
the same general region and take similar hops to the destination.  The
theory that DNS works faster on subsequent calls isn't valid, at least from
my experience.  If you're having problems with the second ISP hosting the
images, why not move them to another ISP, or the same one that you use for
the rest of the site?   I'm assuming, of course, you own the images or have
the permission to access them from the other location.

As for pre-loading images, there are a few tried and true JavaScript
methods, or the very old trick of hiding all the graphics you want to
preload, sized in 1x1 blocks, hidden somewhere on your page or in a frame.