Re: Rollovers in IE5

by "Comharsa" <comharsa(at)clara.net>

 Date:  Sun, 28 May 2000 18:06:43 +0100
 To:  "jalal" <jalal(at)gnomedia.com>,
"HTML W.G. \(Techniques\)" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
From: "jalal" <jalal(at)gnomedia.com>
> A strange problem that has been bugging me for a while....
>
> When I set up rollover buttons (using images) on a Web page, I preload
> them so that they flip in and out nice and quickly.
>
> Works fine on all browsers, except IE5, which insists on loading each
> image anew whenever I roll over it.
>
> Anyone have any solutions to this?

Go to Tools>Internet Options, and on the General tab under Temporary
Internet files click Settings. Make sure that the "Check for newer versions
of stored pages:" isn't set to "Every visit to the page". I seem to recall
that it should be set to "Automatically", but if that doesn't solve the
problem try "Never".

What happens is that somehow this setting can get changed, and when you
return to a page that you already have cached (so the rollovers should work
fine) it reloads the page, making the rollovers sluggish.

HTH

Brian
comharsa(at)clara.net