Re: HTML3.2 - background images and edge-to-edge tables

by "Roger Stenning" <roger(at)isgwds.enterprise-plc.com>

 Date:  Tue, 22 May 2001 01:48:49 +0100
 To:  "Kimiko Drew" <macruimmon(at)earthlink.net>
 Cc:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Kimono (again!) -

> I've been gaming since the late 70s, its just recently that I went
LARPing.
> Played many others and even now play AD&D 3rd ed.

Heh. Check out my personal site, www.the-isg.co.uk (NOT updated
recently, and needds a shedload of work on it, before you say so,
lol)!

> >Sorry, it didn't work. Thanks for the idea, though.
>
> Roger, should have explained further. For the table idea to work you
will
> need the above, AND you will need to chop up the images into two
pieces.

> The left image is your yellow color, and goes in the main (left)
table cell
> as a background image (or just use bgcolor to match and forget the
image as
> it seems to be one solid color).

If I can't get away with a single background image, that's what I was
thinking as well, but the problem of up-to-the-edge-of-the-page tables
is still a problem, writ large. I'm beginning to think there's no real
solution to this at HTML3.2, although I'd LOVE to be proved wrong.

> The far right table cell gets your orange slide of colors as a
background
> image.
>
> Example:
[snip]
> The above will keep your orangy colors at the far right, while your
left
> side will expand or contract as you need to match the browser
window.

> The only other suggestion I have, would be to use CSS background
> positioning, but that may not work well with html 3.2.

Exactly the problem; If I was working in 4+CSS, I doubt I'd have a
problem. My problem is with HTML3.2, and it's limitations on the
presentation/layout of the site. It's my client who requested the site
be seen by as many browsers as possible, which restricts me to
HTML3.2, as there are still a few people out there who use level 3
browsers - not many, I grant you, but enough that the purpose of the
site requires their inclusion. Don't you just love clients like this?
They really make our job _challenging_, lol!

> Does that work with what you are trying to do, or am I missing
something else.

See the above, lol!

Many thanks for the continuing help!

Best regards,

Roger Stenning
Proprietor,
Intelligent Web Design Services
http://iws.n3.net/
(PGP public key available on request)
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this message
may not be those of IWS. The information in this email and
in any attachments may be confidential and/or privileged. If you
are not the intended recipient, you should not retain, copy or
use this email for any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of
its content to any other person - you should also destroy this
message, delete any copies held on your systems and notify
the sender immediately.