Re: Revisited Download Time?

by "Donna Smillie" <dms(at)zetnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Sun, 12 Jan 2003 00:37:44 -0000
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Teajai

Been following this thread with interest, and thought I should mention a
problem re accessibility, even though it's not something you asked about
re the website.

The menu system can't be accessed using the keyboard, which is a major
problem for anyone who can't use a mouse or other pointing device (e.g.
blind users or those with mobility problems in their arms or hands).
And if the user has to increase the font size, the space available to
the main menu doesn't expand to accommodate the larger text.

While the law in the US might not require all websites to be fully
accessible to disabled people, you probably want to consider the
possible impression it would give to a potential client if they want to
know that you can create an accessible website, and find that your own
site isn't fully accessible.

What I normally suggest for menu systems like the one you've got on your
site is to make each of the top level menu items a link in its own right
(and one that can be tabbed to using the keyboard) which leads to an
intermediate, section "home" page which has the same links as those in
the drop down menu, but as static links presented on the page.  That way
keyboard users can access all of the links, as well as mouse users.  And
it might be a good idea to think about making the table structure
containing the top level menu more flexible to accommodate different
text sizes.

Cheers,
Donna
--
Donna Smillie
Best Practice Officer (Accessible Websites)