Clipart - recommendations?

by "Michael Kear" <mkear(at)afpwebworks.com>

 Date:  Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:26:09 +1100
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
What do you all do for clipart?  (OR perhaps I should first ask 'do you
use clipart'?)

I often have need for photographic content, to spruce up my sites.  I'm
not talking about feature photos, but as background, part of montages
etc for 'atmosphere' on my sites.   For example I did a site for a
company that finances commercial buildings, and wanted to find some pics
of commercial buildings I could incorporate into the site. I ended up
having to get into my car and go and find some buildings and take some
pics myself.  It really didn't justify the effort, because it wasn't a
feature of the site, just adding subtle indication as to what type of
finance company this was.

It's occurred to me that I really ought to be using clipart for this
kind of thing rather than roll my own all the time.

What do you all think of using clipart?  Do any of you real
artists/designers use clipart?  (As anyone can tell looking at my sites,
I'm what we call "design challenged" and more a coder myself, so I
really need a lot of graphics help usually.

And if you do use clipart, do you subscribe to an online service?  Buy
CDs?  How do you do it?

Cheers,
Michael Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia