Re: navigation question

by "Dusty" <designsbydusty(at)tiadon.com>

 Date:  Sun, 4 May 2003 13:44:02 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>,
"Collette McNeill" <collette(at)mlwebworks.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Thanks for the good words. A couple of responses, in line.

> If I may be MOTO, your remaining option is simply to update HTML on your
> website as it grows. Not a terrible thing.

No, not a terrible thing, and something I'll probably do. I just wanted to
see if anyone knew of other solutions to the problem.

> If you want to use frames, an example of a usable design is just about any
> page on about.com. Another is the maddening Hotmail frameset that pops up
> when you try to click on a link from an email message.  I suggest these
> because they both use a top frame that doesn't take up much space or
> detract too much from the bottom.  I personally don't think that a frame
> down the left side of a screen is very usable.

I really want to avoid using frames if at all possible. I have made some
templates in the past that simulate the look of a frames site, and that's
what I'll probably do here.

> If you have broadband, there are several ways to set up your own server
and
> give yourself bells and whistles to work with. Webmonkey recently posted
an
> article about it. See http://hotwired.lycos.com - "Dynamic DNS" should
> still be on the front page.

I don't have broadband. Would love to. Oh, well.

> What you do NOT want to do is try to plan your site in advance and put up
> "under construction" signs on empty pages.  That is SO 90s - and a sure
way
> to drive off your audience.

And that is why I'm looking to be able to add to a navigation system as I go
along. I don't want to have empty links on my site.

> Best of luck,
> Collette

Thanks again.

Dusty