Re: Database Connectivity

by "Eric Anderson" <eric(at)blainesoft.com>

 Date:  Mon, 24 Jan 2000 23:23:16 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>,
"David M. Gorjup" <dgorjup(at)flash.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original

> I'm using Win98 (not 2nd Edition), MS Access(97 or 2000) as the database
> (as supplied by Webmonkey), IE 5.00.something or other. The prebuilt
> Webmonkey pages are ASP. I can't find any way to set a Data Source Name on
> the MS Personal Web Server. My local IP address is 10.1.1.2 as I have a
> closed intranet with other machines. Localhost is set to 127.0.0.1.
> ODBC is set right as I'm also playing with Access 2000 and Data Access
> Pages from other tutorials and the configs are virtually identical except
> for the actual database names

There's the problem.

The data source name is set through the ODBC tab, not through PWS.

Fire up the control panel, start the ODBC applet.

Click on the System DSN Tab.

Click on Add. Select the Access driver. Click finish.

On the next screen that appears, set the DSN name as used in the ASP code.
(i.e., your ASP code may contain something that looks like this
"DSN=mydatabase") In tht case, mydatabase would be the name you enter here.

Click on the select button and then use the browser button to point to the
location of the database.

Click OK to finish.

Your DSN is now setup and everything should work.

Eric Anderson